Golden Tips on How to Safely TanJuly 2, 2020
While your summer might not be going the way you planned, there’s no harm in getting some sun-kissed skin action.
Relaxing and soaking up some rays may seem as simple as laying still and reading a book, but if you want the best tan (and without any pesky sunburn), there are some rules you’ll need to follow.
Below, we highlight a few expert tips on how to achieve golden perfection.
- Exfoliate your skin (a.k.a. remove dead skin) anyway you can. In addition to helping your tan last longer, this technique is also just plain healthy.
2. Use sunscreen with an SPF 30. Any lower, and you’re looking more like a lobster than a goddess. Any higher and you risk an uneven tan.
3. Keep moving. Change positions frequently, and even if you’re laying down, make sure to periodically rotate your arms, legs, and neck.
4. The sun is at its strongest between noon and 3pm, so time your day as best as you can for optimal tanning time.
5. Don’t overstay your welcome. The tan color of our skin that we love so much is called melanin. Melanin stops being produced at around three hours (that said, this is different for everyone depending on your natural skin tone). Any tanning after three hours means you’re liable to ruin your hard work and get burned.