How to Make PSL at HomeOctober 10, 2016
Forget about all the other pumpkin spice products thrown at you day after day, we all know the reason for the season: the pumpkin spice latte.
Skip the lines this fall and make your own, right in the comfort of your home. Not only will you love the way it tastes, you’ll love the money you save. Let’s get to it:
What You Need:
- 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more to garnish (you can get this at the grocery store pre-made or make your own. Recipe here).
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract (it substitutes for the syrups baristas use)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 to 2 shots espresso, about ¼ cup (you can use strong-brewed coffee, too – just increase to ⅓ cup!)
- Whipped cream (learn how to make your own, here.)
- Heat the canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and the black pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes or until it’s thoroughly hot and fragrant.
- Add the sugar to the pumpkin mixture and stir until it looks like a thick, bubbly syrup.
- Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract. Allow the milk to warm (stirring frequently) and remove from the heat.
- Carefully process the milk and pumpkin mixture with a hand blender or in a traditional blender until frothy and blended completely.
- Divide the coffee or espresso between two mugs and add the frothed pumpkin milk. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon or remaining pumpkin pie spice.