Trend We’re Loving: Unicorn MilkshakesMay 16, 2017
Can you believe it’s been almost a month since the world fell in love with Starbucks’ Unicorn Frap? Neither can we. While it’s easy to sit around and miss the good old days, it’s almost just as easy to move on to bigger and better things.
Introducing: The Unicorn Bark Milkshake.
Mmmmm. This is the milkshake of your summer dreams. To get that gorgeous unicorn-esque color, we’re using fresh strawberries + raspberries, though you’re free to experiment with blueberries, blackberries, bananas, and so on. Perfect for girls’ nights, serving up poolside or just as a frosty treat – this delightful concoction is almost too pretty to eat.
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Unicorn Bark:
● 1 12-ounce package of pink candy melts (available at your local grocery store, craft store, or online)
● 1 12-ounce package of blue candy melts
● 1 12-ounce package of purple candy melts
● A selection of rainbow sprinkles, colored marshmallows, edible glitter, cotton candy and anything else your heart desires (these will go on top, as decorations!)
For the milkshake
● Prepared cream cheese, vanilla, or funfetti frosting
● 1 cup of rainbow sprinkles (Need inspiration?)
● 2 cups of vanilla ice cream (per milkshake)
● 1 container fresh strawberries, diced
● 1 container fresh raspberries
● ½ cup whole milk (per milkshake)
● whipped cream (homemade or store bought)
Here’s how to make the unicorn bark:
1. Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap or wax paper, to make things easier later on.
2. Melt each bag of candy melts separately, per the instructions on the bag.
3. Pour the melted pink candy melts directly onto the wax paper. Pour the blue and purple candy melts into piping bags with a small tip cut off.
4. Drizzle with blue and purple candy over the pink, and along the edges. Tap the baking sheet against the counter to help it flatten out.
5. While the candy is still a little warm, immediately top with sprinkles and decorations.
6. Once it looks how you like it, place the baking sheet in the fridge for about 45-60 minutes for bark to set. Once it’s hard, use your hands to break it into uneven pieces. Keep in fridge until ready for use.
Here’s how to make the milkshakes:
1. Spread frosting along the edge of the cups you’re going to use (for best results, try tall, glass cups.) Roll the edges of each cup in the sprinkles and set in the freezer.
2. For each milkshake, place about 2 cups of ice cream (about 3-4 large scoops) in a blender. Add about ½ cup diced strawberries and ¼ cup raspberries. Add ½ cup milk. Blend until smooth. Add more ice cream or milk depending on your preferred consistency.
3. Pour shake into the glass. Top with whipped cream, stick on some pieces of unicorn bark, cotton candy, sprinkles, marshmallows or anything else you can think of!